Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Chez Michel (神秘嘉賓Michel), 1




 




I've been waiting for this moment for a long time, and finally, I have the opportunity to introduce you to our first guest, Michel. Over the holidays in December, our friend Michel invited us to his place for dinner. This is the second year that he's invited us over for the holidays, and for that, we're very grateful! Being in a foreign country alone during the holiday season can be a little bit depressing, but he's always letting us know that we're not alone here.

Besides being such a kind and generous person, he is also an extremely talented musician, and one of the best cooks I've ever met! He's also a dear friend of mine. There are so many great things to say about him that I could go on and on... I do not know anyone who does not like Michel, and everyone wants to be invited over to his place, as well!




(閱讀中文請看續文)




Michel is also well-known for his style and taste!
朋友的品味也很不錯





We first met him when my husband's new colleagues decided to throw us a welcome party. Since Michel is a great cook, naturally everyone wanted to find an "excuse" to get together at his house. When we arrived, we were not really told how they arranged for the food. When I saw the fancy food presentation on his dining table, I thought that they had paid a catering company! Only after I stepped in his kitchen, did I realize that he was the master chef behind all those delicious hors d'oeuvres. Boy, was I impressed!



 


My dream dining room...
我所夢想的飯廳…




In his invitation this year, he told me that he was just going to make something simple. I thought to myself: "With Michel, there's no way that he would make something 'simple'”, and of course, I was right! We ended up having a several course meal. (See photos)

I confess that I did not watch how he prepared all the dishes (every cook needs his own space! XD), but he told me a little bit about each dish and sent me some recipes as a guideline for me to try. I'm sharing my version of all the recipes with you, so you can try to make these "simple" (a word only found in Michel's dictionary! XD) delicious dishes, like I did, for yourself! I'm sure Michel would be proud of me if he sees them! (Just click links below photos to go to recipes!)








On the left: I don't usually drink much wine, but I always love the wine Michel picks
左圖:那天的酒瓶很特別!我平時不大喝酒的,但是只要是Michel選的酒,我都愛喝 XD

On the right: You can find some nice collections of art at his house
右圖:朋友家裡總可以看到一些漂亮的藝術收藏品





早在幾個月前,就一直很想找機會把這位神秘貴賓介紹給大家,但一直拖到現在!!! > < 前些日子的過節期間,我的好友 – Michel,邀請我們到他家做客,這是我們搬來魁北克後,第二年在過節時收到他的邀請。在人生地不熟(又寒冷)的魁北克,還要獨自過節,實在令人有點沮 喪啊… 因此,我們感到非常的幸運,能在這裡遇上那麼有人情味的朋友,實屬難得,也很令人欣慰。

當然朋友除了很友善、慷慨之外,他也是一位很有才華的男低音、還是我遇過很強的廚房高手之一喔!誰能不喜歡像Michel這樣的一位朋友呢?!





A beautiful giant Christmas tree is a must at Michel's house every year!
這是每年聖誕節Michel家裡一定會有的





我第一次遇見Michel是剛來沒多久時,因為朋友手藝很好的關係,老公的工作單位請他幫我們辦一個"Welcome Party"(應該是說大家想找藉口去他家裡,還有品嘗他的菜啦!>w<) 我當時對整件事情並不了解,所以以為他們大家請來什麼有名的廚師之類的,直到我走進朋友的廚房,才發現原來他就是幕後的"大廚"







Rillettes 

it is very similar to pâté. Here, Michel made it with both pork and duck. The meat has been cooked in fat for a long time, so it is tender, flavorful, and wonderful! 
 

跟鵝肝醬有點類似的一種肉醬。Michel是以豬肉和鴨肉與油脂一起慢煮很久而製成的



Before I met Michel, I had not tried rillettes and did not know anything about it. Now, it's one of my favorites! You can see it in a lot of restaurants here, but it's hard to find one as good as his. Luckily, he was generous enough to give me a full container of it, so I can even enjoy it at home! Unfortunately, I was not able to make this dish with Michel this year. It looks like we'll have to share this recipe next year....

在遇到Michel之前,我完全沒吃過rillettes、也不清楚它是什麼。現在卻變成了我最愛的食品之一!而且在這裡大多數餐廳的菜單上都可以看的到,只是做的像Michel那麼好的並不多,還好朋友留了一盒給我,讓我可以不用到餐廳也可以在家享用!很不幸的是這次朋友做這道rillettes我沒有跟上,所以這個食譜要等明年嘍….











Michel這一次邀請我們,他預告了,他將會簡單的做幾道菜。聽他這麼說之後,我跟老公説用膝蓋想也知道哪~~~~~有可能的!! 在我這位朋友的眼裡,「簡單」兩個字跟一般人的定意根本大~~~大的不同!果然不出我所料,那天去朋友家吃到一堆一~~~~~點都不簡單的料理!!! (請看圖片)

我那天很認份的扮演著座上賓客的角色,沒機會看他做菜偷學幾招 (你也知道,每位大廚都有一個絕對保密、誤闖者死的廚房… XD) 朋友後來仍有稍微透露一點做法,也很熱心的從網路找來幾個供我參考的食譜。我在這裡順便附上我自己的食譜並且分享給大家,讓大家也可以一起"享受"一下朋 友,Michel的大餐喔!(按圖片下方的食譜連結)








I love this salad!!! The bitterness of the chicory, the smoky flavor of the bacon, the crispiness of the croutons, the warmth of the vinaigrette, and not to forget the soft runny egg yolk from the poached eggs, are all combined in this dish. I think you'll agree that this is not so "simple" (as Michel says)! XD

超喜歡這道沙拉菜!稍帶點苦味的菊苣加上燻臘肉、香脆的麵包塊、溫熱的香醋和水波蛋全部都在這道沙拉菜裡面!我想你應該會同意這道菜一點也不像我朋友説的那麼"簡單"吧!XD
 







Even though I wasn't supposed to disturb him while he was cooking, I couldn't resist the smell of the rösti and had to sneak in the kitchen to snap this quick shot! Sorry, my friend!!


雖然不應該在朋友煮菜的時候干擾他,但那煎餅的香味實在太誘人啦!!!! 忍不住走到廚房拍下這一張~







Émincé de porc à la zurichoise Pork cutlets in Zurich style 蘇梨士風

It is typically made with veal. Since we don't eat much veal, my friend substituted it with pork. The pork was tender and paired perfectly with the white wine and mushrooms. My recipe is with chicken, which works just as well!

其實傳統來説這道菜應該是以小牛肉做的,但是我們不太吃小牛肉,朋友將它改為豬肉。軟軟的豬肉,跟白酒香菇吃起來超搭的!我因為剛好有雞肉,食譜用的是雞肉。






Of course, as a true Frenchman, Michel always offers some cheese at the end of the meal
朋友是個道地的法國人,每次餐後都一定會來個起司盤








This is the dessert I made for Michel that day. I find that in Quebec people are very thoughtful when they're guests. They don't go to an invited meal empty-handed (even when you asked them to!). Most of the time, as a guest, you would ask the host what you should bring, such as wine, cheese, or dessert. And if you like to cook (and you know your host likes your cooking), you might want to offer them a homemade dish or a dessert. Even if the host says you don't need to bring anything, it's still polite to bring some gift that you think would be suitable for them or the party. 

這是我那天特別為朋友做的果醬與蘋果塔我發現在魁北克邀請朋友來家裡做客,大部分的客人都非常細心,他們不會空手到你家做客。(即使你請他們不要帶東西!)身為客人,你會問邀請你的朋友要帶什麼樣的東西,例如葡萄酒,奶酪或甜點之類的。如果你知道朋友喜歡吃你做的菜,你應該主動提意帶一道菜或自製的甜點。即使朋友客氣的推卸,仍然應該在禮貌上帶個適合他()的禮物。 


 
The dessert was not heavy and luckily it went perfectly with Michel's meal (even though I didn't know what he was going to make)!

這道甜點不會太甜,吃完朋友的菜後食用非常適合
 





No comments: